Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Building Minds & Bodies

It's been a good week thus far.  We got out of the Hospital on Monday afternoon - the second fastest time we've run that marathon!  Since coming home, Daniel has continued to have periodic bouts with acheyness(?) in his back, but is otherwise doing well.  We're due for his next treatment with Pamidronate: the drug for his osteoporosis that usually makes him feel much better again in his back.  We've got the rest of this week and all of next "off" - a vacation from hospitals and cancer and the rest.  Unfortunately, his blood counts are low and so we have to be cautious, but we're finding more ways for him to be active and have visitors.  I'm pushing hard for more time in the sun and fresh air and more EXERCISE.  I'm working hard on this both mentally and physically.  Tonight was a good example.

I've been looking for ways to inspire him. Stories of my own battle with asthma that I conquered against the doctor's "certain" prognosis when I discovered weight lifting.  I also discovered, quite against my doctor's advice, that with a lot of work, patience, and supply of inhalers, I actually COULD teach my body to run and NOT have an asthma attack.  But this story's not about me - I was just trying to use any examples I could to inspire him to WANT to get in shape, to get healthy, and to realize that he CAN conquer much if not all of his lack of energy and stamina.  Low and behold, the more exercise he gets, the more energy he has.  Helping him to recognize that this is happening has been a huge motivator for him.  I've been surprised and blessed at how fast his energy is coming back.  

Yesterday, I took off work a bit early and we drove to Nashville, IN.  Unfortunately, we only had about an hour before they rolled up the sidewalks, but it was a great walk through town.  Afterward, we went to our favorite Mexican place down there and he had a fairly big dinner (loving to see his appetite returning).  Afterward we went to the State Park and did a small hike and gazed longingly at the giant indoor water park they have now at the lodge.  Promises were made about returning soon and possibly spending a night or two there in December like we traditionally have to celebrate our combined celebrations (3 birthdays, anniversary, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year all within about a month.  December is big for the Millers!

A few days ago, I introduced Daniel to Rocky Balboa.  I was surprised he liked the first movie as much as he did. There are some really slow parts to it. But he really loved the second one and I capitalized on the work-out scenes.  Tonight has been "guy night" as Andrea is at the hospital finally having a sleep study done.  She's been putting it off for about 10 years and I think Daniel and I have both finally goaded her into it.  She's never slept well and the combination of weeks of poor or no sleep combined with everything else are really taking their toll on her.  I only hope they can come up with something more helpful than a CPAP torture device (er "machine" I mean).  Prayers appreciated for her!

But I digress.  Tonight is guy night and so I pulled up Rocky III (the one with Mr. T in it) and he was riveted through it.  Afterward he began jumping up and down on my stomach (yes, he's done this since he was about 1 years old. It's the ONLY time I'm glad he's not gained any more weight in the last 2 years!) and said he felt like going for a run.  Now I had just finished half a pizza and it was about 8:30.  Read this as "dad wants to be done for the night"!  But I absolutely did NOT want to let this opportunity go.  I asked him if we wanted to drive over to the track at the elementary school up the road and he got a big smile on his face.  So off we went.  It was just about sunset and things were just starting to cool off. But it was light, and no bugs yet.  Perfect!

While I was still unloading my pockets in the truck, he took off running and I actually had trouble catching up (dad needs this at LEAST as much as Daniel at this point!)  We went around the 1/4 mile track 3 times letting him set the pace.  Most of it was walking but I'll bet he did a total of 1/4 mile running.  I was able to teach him a bit about breathing, pacing, relaxing, and most of all - ENJOYING a good run.  He loved it and I was in heaven (almost literally!)  By the time we got back to the truck he said he wanted to run some more.  But I put the brakes on not wanting to ruin a good thing.  

It was dark by the time we got back home, but he couldn't resist doing a bit more running in the back yard with the dogs.  I can't express how thankful I am for this night - on so many levels. You just really have no idea.  When he came back inside, I started Rocky IV (yes I know, it's way past bed time, but hey, it's guys night, right?!)  Shortly into it, he was ready to pass out & said he wanted to go to bed.  I told him he was perfectly welcome to do so, but the "work out scene" was about to start (which of course is the best part of all the Rocky movies! :)  He decided he'd stay up long enough to watch just that part.  Well the movie ended at about 11:30 and there he was jumping on me again and stating that I needed to hold this pillow against my chest because I was about to become his punching bag.  

By midnight I we had pulled out all my old martial arts pads and he was telling me how much I needed to buy us each a set of boxing gloves.  (Watching Rocky does that to you ya know).  My goal in all this is at least as much psychological as it is physical.  I'm looking for anything that will inspire in him a desire to fight, to win, to push forward, to "go the distance".  Guy stuff at some level, and that part's fun too - but HUGELY needed for a 10 year old going through cancer treatment!!! Finding and being inspired by heroes that are tough (in the right way), and determined, and willing to do what it takes to win the prize is something every boy needs - and those who's lives depend on that kind of toughness, all the more so.  Last night was Chuck Norris "Lone Wolf McQuade" inspired by some fun stuff David Silva posted on my Facebook wall (thanks Dave, it was perfect!) and a little hiking.  Tonight Rocky and some running; hmmm better start thinking about tomorrow night! :)

It'll be interesting to see how he (and I) feels tomorrow, but I couldn't be happier that he's getting his energy and enthusiasm back.  I know this roller coaster goes both ways though, and none of us is looking forward to the next two months.  But in our time off, I want to do all I can to help him enjoy life, to get his strength back, and to spend as much quality "guy time" together as we can.  Between hospital visits and work schedules lately, there has been precious little of that so it's a very valuable commodity these days.  The heat predictions are unfortunate - supposed to get over 100 tomorrow, but with the Lord's help and some imagination, I'm sure we'll come up with something fun and moderately strenuous to do while we can.

Thanks to all of you for your continued prayers and support.  I wanted to get a HAPPY report out for a change while things are going well. 

Thank you Lord for the bad times as well as the good.  Help us to be thankful in all things at all times and to trust that Your hand is always at work working all things into a pattern for good and for Your glory.  Please bless Andrea and Daniel this night with a rejuvenating rest and dreams as You continue to build their health and strength in body, mind, and spirit.

Grace and peace to all.

2 comments:

  1. awesomely inspiring...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God in his wisdom gave Daniel a wonderful earthly dad!
    - Heather B.

    ReplyDelete